Have you ever heard that phrase, the fruit of the light? If you said no, I haven’t heard it either. I found the phrase as I was reading this morning. We are told, “Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists of all goodness, righteousness, and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord.” (Ephesians 5: 8-10)
As I looked at the verse previously, it says, “For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.” (Ephesians 5: 8)
So what are we understanding about this? Light is productive. For example, plant life needs light to grow and be healthy. Anyone who lives in God’s light produces the fruit of the Spirit. Jesus said, “By their fruit you will recognize them.” (Matthew 7: 16)
- Whatever fruit comes forth from a person determines what’s inside a person’s heart.
- Fruit of the light is Christ-like character.
- Those who bear good fruit, bear a good heart.
- The Light of Jesus can definitely be recognized. He’s so glorious.
(Shared from Ephesians 5: 1-20, Modified)
The Light Cannot Shine Through Idols
Ezekiel and the Old Testament prophets were constantly coming up against the idols that are in the hearts of the Israelites. Just think how the heart of the Lord feels? God is always wanting to “Recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted Him for their idols.” (Ezekiel 14: 5)
God consistently releases the loving fruit of His heart saying, “Repent! Turn from your idols and renounce all your detestable practices!” (Ezekiel 14: 6) Yet, they would not listen! Who likes rebellious children? Yet, God has so many of them even to this day.
God Calls Jerusalem A Useless Vine
Israel was once God’s flourishing transplanted vine. He said, “You brought a vine out of Egypt; you drove out the nations and planted it.” (Psalm 80: 8)
Now, through Ezekiel, He says, “How is the wood of a vine better than that of a branch on any of the trees in the forest? (Ezekiel 15: 2)
- Vine trees are useful ONLY when the vines are fruitful.
Here’s what some commentaries said about the wood and the vine and the scripture:
- It’s interesting to consider that nowhere in Ezekiel 15 is there mention of fruit, either in the presence or absence of it. This was a dramatic way Ezekiel communicated that at this point in Israel’s history, there was absolutely no fruit to speak of. It was a non-issue. “He makes no allusion to that which is always the chief idea in the use of that figure, its fruit. He only thinks of it as wood.” (Morgan)
- “A vine would never be cultivated for the sake of its wood; it is really worthless but as it bears fruit. What is Israel? Good for nothing, but as God influenced them to bring forth fruit to his glory. But now that they have ceased to be fruitful, they are good for nothing, but, like a withered branch of the vine, to be burnt.” (Clarke)
The unfaithfulness of Israel has forced the Lord to make the land desolate. A desolate land is a deserted land, deserted of people.
Choose The Light Of The Lord
Isaiah is proclaiming, “I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.” (Isaiah 44: 6)
“All who make idols are nothing, ad the things they treasure are worthless. Those who would speak up for them are blind; they are ignorant, to their own shame.” (Isaiah 44: 9)
God in His goodness, will not forget His Israel. He, “Carries out the words of His servants and fulfills the predictions of His messengers.” (Isaiah 44: 26)
- His words are carried out and fulfilled.
“For this light within you produces ONLY what is good and right and true. (Ephesians 5: 9)
- Jesus’s very essence is light, goodness, righteousness, and truth.
Yes, Lord, let the fruit of your light shine; your very essence is released through us.
(Shared from Isaiah 44, Modified)
UNBROKEN LOVE SERIES
You can find all of the Unbroken Love series posts by clicking the button below.