So what happened after Jesus was born? It was time for circumcision! Yes, He is fully man and fully God!
As written in the law,
Mary and Joseph took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord, and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the law of the Lord: a pair of doves or two young pigeons.” (Luke 2: 22-24)
The Lord of Glory obeyed the law, even though He would one day prove He is above it. He is writing a new law upon the hearts of men.
- The timing of releasing things is necessary.
- The Holy Spirit knows when that timing is perfect.
- Walking in the Spirit will move you to God’s timing, not your own.
A righteous, devout man, a prophet of the Lord, called Simeon was waiting for the coming of the Messiah.
It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord, Christ.” (Luke 2: 26)
- Part of Holy Spirit’s job is to reveal things to come.
Simeon, moved by the Spirit, went into the temple courts the same day Jesus was about to be circumcised. How did Simeon know that Jesus was coming that day?
I propose to you, the Holy Spirit told him. Being moved by the Spirit often means stepping out without completely knowing why. When Mary and Joseph brought Jesus in, to do what was the custom of the Law required, Simeon took him into his arms and praised God saying,
Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace. For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.” (Luke 2: 29-32)
- The Holy Spirit gives special insight so he could recognize the Christ, the Messiah.
Simeon was a man who was moved by the Spirit, but one whom
The Holy Spirit was upon him.” (Luke 2: 25)
- The Holy Spirit had him in a posture of waiting for things to come.
- Many are in times of waiting, don’t dismiss having the right posture in that waiting time.
- Right posture will release God’s peace and dismiss our control of things.
After Simeon prophesies to Jesus,
The child’s father and mother marveled at what was said about him.” (Luke 2: 33)
- Prophetic words are not always just for us, but for others close to us.
- Marveling at the prophetic words usually indicates they were received well.
- Our amazing God, allows a prophetic word, a blessing, to be spoken to Jesus.
- The King of Glory, Jesus, is being prayed over.
After Simeon prays over Jesus, he then blesses Joseph and Mary as well. He says to Mary,
This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.” (Luke 2: 34-35)
He’s basically telling Mary your son will be great, but you’ll suffer, as well, as you release Him into God’s purpose.
A Woman Moved By The Spirit To Worship God
This woman, Anna, never left the temple but worshipped night and day, with fasting and praying. How was she moved by the Spirit?
Coming up to them at the very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.” (Luke 2: 38)
- At the exact same time Simeon was moved by the Spirit so was Anna, the prophetess.
- Man and woman were both called to speak forth the things of God.
- God worshippers learn how to be moved by the Spirit.
- Worship orchestrates an open heaven to hear and move–Spirit to spirit.
Was this an example, prophetically, that both men and women will bring forth the Word? Anna, which the Bible calls a prophetess, was behind the scenes, worshipping, fasting, and praying, probably not many seeing her, but the Lord saw her.
- Our hiddenness in God is viewed by Him. He is the audience that we should seek.
- Those who are hidden in God, are coming forth. They’re becoming too bright to hide His light.
If you are behind the scenes in your giftings, God sees and there will be a time when you will be called forth to do great exploits for our God.
- Preparations are being made in the dark, for God’s children to embark.
- Those two precious servants, Simeon and Anna, were used by Jesus, and for Jesus.
Mary and Joseph returned to Galilee to their own town of Nazareth.
And the child grew and became strong; He was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon Him.” (Luke 2: 40)
Again, I propose to you, that the prayers spoken over Jesus were not only allowed but implemented to impart strength and wisdom.
- God still uses man’s prayers, merging with His, to bring forth His purposes.
- God still approves the release of the true prophetic word, coming from His servants.
- Never exalt the gift, exalt the giver of the gift.
Wisdom From The Spirit Brings One Beyond Their Years
Jesus, at the age of twelve, goes to Jerusalem with his parents for his normal Passover duty. Upon leaving, his parents noticed He was left behind.
- Being behind can catapult you to above and beyond.
- The Holy Spirit will not leave you behind when it’s time for you to come forth in your calling.
How would he be left behind? His parents probably assumed he was with a group that they traveled with to and from Jerusalem.
Where did Mary and Joseph find Jesus? He was called to the Word–The Word was in the Word. (Selah)
He was sitting among the teacher, listening, and learning. His wisdom was beyond His years.
- Wisdom from the Holy Spirit sets you above the rest.
- Stay low and humble, remember pride got Lucifer thrown out of heaven.
- Jesus was found, for He came to save those who are lost.
- His own experience of being lost brought Him forth to be found. He was lost in the Word.
It’s deep, I know! Yes, Jesus was found by His parents, and
Grew in wisdom and stature–and in favor with God and man.” (Luke 2: 52)
- Those called of God will increase in wisdom, stature, and favor–favor with God and man.
Mary treasured all these things in her heart.
- Treasure those things in your heart that God is doing, even if it doesn’t make sense right now. There is always a timing of things, everything.
(Shared from Luke 2: 21-52, Modified)
God’s Greatness Will Be Known, His Spirit Shall Be Poured Out.
Ezekiel, still speaking to the nations, about destruction to come, says,
So I will show my greatness and my holiness and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations, then they will know that I am the Lord.” (Ezekiel 38: 23)
- Holy Spirit will make Him known.
He also promised,
I will display my glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the punishment I inflict and the hand I lay upon them.” (Ezekiel 39: 21)
“I will pour out my Spirit on the home of Israel, declares the Sovereign Lord.” (Ezekiel 39: 29)
(Shared from Ezekiel 38-39, Modified)
The Spirit’s Purpose
Isaiah told us,
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor. (Isaiah 61: 1-2)
- He binds up the wounds of the broken-hearted.
- He proclaims freedom.
- He releases prisoners from darkness.
When the Spirit is upon His children, they will,
Delight greatly in the Lord, my soul rejoices in my God. For He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed us in a robe of righteousness…” (Isaiah 61: 10)
- In Jesus, we are in right-standing with God.
(Shared from Isaiah 61, Modified)